My Situation Broom

-Redeploying Hindsight To A Forward Position-

Thursday, August 10

Soothe

One way to look at it, of course, is that Lieberman has been adjudged to be "not part of the solution." Which sounds about right to me. The Decembrist gave me this:

---

"First, is there a better expression of what I called 'checklist liberalism' than Lieberman’s I-gave-at-the-office answer to George Stephanopoulos this morning, complete with the Rumsfeldian question-answer format?:

"Lieberman: 'Did I keep in touch with Democrats? You bet I did….I have the support of most of the key inner constituencies, advocacy groups within the Democratic Party : the AFL-CIO, the League of Conservation Voters, Defenders of Wildlife, Human Rights Campaign, NARAL, Planned Parenthood PAC. They wouldn’t support me if I lost touch with them.'"

---

Which brought on thoughts about judgement. Some folks love to judge, eh? I do! And I suspect that a lot of my friends do, too. Some on the other side would say that people like me actually judge not enough. Perhaps. From the mouths of many moralists, though, I would take it to mean I must be doing something right. Here's to the hope that someday I will judge even less. Instead, I shall be more aware.

And so it makes me a little uncomfortable to hear in the 'sphere about Lieberman not being a Democrat, not a real Democrat, get out of our party, you jerk. How off-key to my ears. How distasteful. How judgemental.

And yet, feeling aware enough, I am going to let myself think of yesterday as an acceptable judgement of a person by open committee and more-or-less with integrity. I'll place it somewhere between a Rowe camp council and a high school book review... only more far-reaching. Currently, it cannot be known if Connecticut made a wise choice. And that's alright.

The people can judge, now-and-then. Sometimes it helps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home